The principal responsibility of the Federation of Accident Insurance Institutions (FAII) is to coordinate the practical application of statutory accident insurance. Pursuant to law, every insurance institution underwriting statutory accident insurance in Finland has to be a member of FAII.
FAII has many responsibilities. These include
- developing statutory accident insurance and its implementation system,
- promoting cooperation between different stakeholders, the implementation system and the uniformity of the compensation system,
- acting as the cooperation body for insurance institutions,
- compiling statistics on accidents at work and occupational diseases as well as their reasons and consequences, and
- preventing accidents at work and occupational diseases.
A further responsibility of FAII is to pay accident compensation in cases where the employer did not have a valid insurance policy for the work provided.